18 km west of Trabzon, Akçakale is built on the seaside. The castle, which gave its name to the district, is believed to have been
built by Emperor Alexios II. between 1297 and 1330 in order to protect it from the Seljuks. After the conquest of Trabzon, the fortress
was repaired during the Ottoman period. Despite the fact that many parts of the castle made of rubble and cut stone were destroyed,
they still did not move much from the original view. However, the formation of timber between the floors prevented these sections
from reaching the present day.